Getting Back Into the Swing of Things

Well the Sons of Sek got finished right under the wire. The GT was a blast and I'll have full coverage by this weekend. 

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Monday's Project: Spell Singer on Horse

If you read Wood Elves - 'Ardboyz Additions Built, you'd know that I have 5 projects to work on this week for the 'Ardboyz tournament this Saturday. So, if you do the math correctly, it works out to one project per day (good work, Rain Man). I finished today's project, a Spell Singer on horse. Nothing too fancy here. The paint job is adequate, nothing phenomenal. But it is good tabl top quality and should mesh well with the rest of my force. I did do some extensive green stuff conversion to make this Glade Rider into a scroll caddy. Here's how:

I took a Glade Riderset of legs and torso, and put them together on a flying stand. I so this so I can paint my horses and riders separately. Notice on the legs there are three distinct layers of cloth. Since this was a mage, I wanted him to be wearing robes instead of the Wood Elf Peter Pan leotard.

I began by extending the cloth that was underneath the other two layers.

I then proceeded to lengthen the middle layer.

Next I lengthened the outermost layer. I also began constructing the torso portion of the robe. Basically, one layer just folds over the other.

I thought the robes were a little short, so I went back and further extended all three levels of cloth.

Next, I added the head and the cape. I also used some green stuff to extend the joint oh his right arm. With the extra thickness of the cloth on the legs, the arm needed to be out a little farther from the body.

Next, I started working on the mage's staff. I used the Glade Rider banner pole. I whittled down the top end to a point, so that it would act as the armature for the jewel I would be putting on top. I decided to use brown stuff instead of green stuff, as it is a little more durable. I just created the rough shape of a mounting, and a rough shape of a jewel.

Once the brown stuff had fully cured, I used an x-acto blade to form the facets of the jewel. It was the first time I had tried this and didn't come out quite how I expected it to. It works, overall, I guess.

I then put on the right arm and used brown stuff again to form the right sleeve of the robe. I tried to make it look as if it were naturally hanging down from the army.


I made another sleeve for the left arm. I also sculpted on a crown. Overall it was a lot of work to do for a simple Level 2 scroll caddy. In fact this is the second mounted mage, I've had to convert because Games Workshop has made a mounted mage model for the Wood Elves. Oh well, I don't think I'll need anymore...

Tomorrow, my third treeman!

6 comments:

RonSaikowski said...

Well done, if I hadn't been told, I would have never of know it was a conversion. Just goes to show that simple things, like just adding some length to a robe or a sleeve can make all the difference. I think the jewel idea is pretty cool. Naturally, I can't figure out how to incorporate that into my army but if I ever do, consider it stolen.
Waiting for the second project now.

Sean Ramirez (dvdhwk) said...

You certainly are a rough taskmaster. ;)

Yeah, overall, its a pretty subtle conversion.

RonSaikowski said...

Don't fool yourself... subtle is good. I always thought that if someone looked at your model and didn't realize it was a conversion (and they were familiar with the model range... like me with Space Marines for example) then your conversion is a complete success.

Sean Ramirez (dvdhwk) said...

Oh, yeah I know what you mean. The "task master" comment was in reference to your comments where you're waiting for me to crank out more models. It definitely helps having someone look over your shoulder to keep you motivated to get a project done.

RonSaikowski said...

Beleive me, I know... it can be tremendously helpful to some people to have that little extra motivation to keep going. I know it works for me and the blog I do. Just knowing that others are out there reading and commenting keeps me going sometimes.

Jerry said...

This is really a great conversion! I have new respect for your abilities, Sean! I have no clue how to work with green stuff at all. You've done a great job. I like what you're doing with the blog. Keep it up.

Current Progress on the Sons of Sek

Current Progress on the Sons of Sek
Sept. 5th, 2008 - They were finished literally at the table before the first round began.