Getting Back Into the Swing of Things

Well the Sons of Sek got finished right under the wire. The GT was a blast and I'll have full coverage by this weekend. 

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Sons of Sek - Standard Infantry - Part I

I've been making little to no progress these last couple of weeks. There's been nights out with friends, and things to do around the house. Plus I was in New Mexico visiting my family for 5 days. These previous week, I was able to crank things out. But these last couple of weeks have proven very unfruitful. I don't go back to classes for another 3 weeks. I'm hoping I can really get some stuff done in the meantime.

It works out to just less than 4 models per day that I need to get done, if I want to finish before the GT. "4 models per day" doesn't sound so bad, but considering I have to maintain that for 30+ days is a little daunting. But anyways, on to the conversions.

The majority of my troops require this particular conversion, and it is based off the Cadian model, rather than the Chaos Warrior model.

As always I'm going off the above source picture. I've had to make decisions that provide a balance between approximating the source image and ease of reproduction over 130+ models.


I started with the legs, and began by removing the cargo pockets. Why? I don't know. I guess maybe with the armor plates it would look to busy. I also cut off the boot straps. Again no particular reason why.


Next were the extra armor plates for the knees and shins. With both I began by estimating how big they would need to be. I then created the plates in Adobe Illustrator. I took my base size and made two more plates that were smaller, and two more that were bigger. With these 5 different sized plates I test-fitted them to determine the correct size, and make any adjustments for width and height. When I got it just right I created enough in AI, and then printed them on manila folders.

Using a fresh x-acto blade I cut them out and formed them to fit before super-gluing them on.


The cod piece was made from the shovel blade from the Cadian Heavy Weapons team. I then took a tiny Khorne Icon from one of the newer CSM helmets and glued it on the blade. I then made molds and am casting enough pieces for the army. In order for the piece to fit correctly, I had to cut out a portion of the overhanging jacket.


The backpack was made from a particular CSM backpack. I simply cut at the blue lines. This way it can serve as a drop-chute, as well as matching the backpack worn by the Son of Sek in the source picture.


The extra shoulder armor was made using the same techniques as the leg pads. I probably should have done 2 layers to stay true to the source, but that would have been a lot more work.

So far, I'm pretty happy with the modeling. Hopefully when they're painted, I'll get a better idea of how closely they approximate the source image. I'm planning to get them painted tonight... we'll see.

7 comments:

Drunken Samurai said...

Hmm, those space marine haeds look really big.

RonSaikowski said...

I didn't think about the head size until it was mentioned actually. I'm gonna hold my opinion until I can see the thing painted up. Hopefully it won't be a problem, I wonder if they look bigger because of the face mask thing and the hoses.

Once again, great work.
I defintely understand trying to find a balance between acurately representing something and making it a mass production item. There has to be an efficiency there otherwise you'll never get done.

The leg armour looks great in the photo, and the idea for cutting it out from cardstock is superb. I'm keeping this trick in mind.

Sean Ramirez (dvdhwk) said...

Well, the head size issue was always a concern. Originally the regular troopers were going to be simply a cadian with the head. Only the Sgt.'s would get this level of conversion. However with just the head on the body they looked like bobble heads.

I was actually pretty happy with the head size once I bulked out the cadian. Between the increased shoulder pads and the backpack, I thought it really made the head size appear to be more reasonable.

And actually the "head" itself looks perfectly sized, it is the re-breather mask an apparatus that really makes it bigger.

I have my test model painted up, and I think it turns out alright. This is heroic scale after all. :)

The other 9 will be painted tonight (depending when that is, look for a new post tonight or tomorrow).

Sean Ramirez (dvdhwk) said...

Oh and Ron, glad you like the armor. The method was inspired in part from your pre-heresy shoulder pads (I have some Black Legion termies that will be receiving that particular lovin' one day soon). Understandably, I couldn't do that ornateness over 130+ models. These guys already take three time as long to build as normal cadians.

RonSaikowski said...

I understand completely, at 130 models, efficiency is your best friend.

seemyinnergeek said...

I think they look great! All the converting will really pay off when they are all together on the field of battle I think.

Drunken Samurai said...

I think paint will make all the difference. In grey it is tough to tell where the head ends and gear begins. I can't wait to see them with oaint on!

Current Progress on the Sons of Sek

Current Progress on the Sons of Sek
Sept. 5th, 2008 - They were finished literally at the table before the first round began.