Getting Back Into the Swing of Things

Well the Sons of Sek got finished right under the wire. The GT was a blast and I'll have full coverage by this weekend. 

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Sons of Sek - Veterans Painted

Here are my 3 Veteran Squads. One with trip-flamers, two with trip-meltas.


Here's a closer look at the Vets. Any thoughts on the eyes? I decided to do pure white, with no pupils to give them a haunted look. Is it effective or distracting... possibly something else altogether?



In the Gaunt's Ghost books their armor is described as "ochre." For my interpretation of Ochre, I did the following:
  • Calthan Brown base coat
  • Tau Sept Ochre - overbrushed on the raised areas and lightly stippled in the crevasses
  • Desert Yellow highlight
  • Bleached Bone hardline


My squad marking system is somewhat simple, and is partially based off of the Cadian system. The command platoon is designated by "00." The Heroic Senior Officer's squad will be "000". I've envisioned that my Veterans are attached to the command platoon, working closely with the colonel (need to go back and find the appropriate rank designations for the SoS). As such, these squads are designated "003", "004" and "005". "001" and "002" are reserved for the special weapons squads.


Overall, I'm pretty happy with these guys, though they took longer than I had anticipated. I imagine that the bulk of the basic troopers who are cadian-based models will go a little quicker as there are some short-cuts I can take with them.

I have 17 models done, only 152 to go before September. I've moved some things around with my schedule in an effort to get caught up. So next up will be the 4 standard bearers (3 Platoons and 1 Company standards). I'm hoping to get these guys done by Sunday night. If I can do that, I'll be back on schedule.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My hats off to you. You sir, are a painting machine! I think they look great. The eyes are fine by me and do kind of give them that supernatural feel. I can't wait to see more!

Space Hulk Enthusiast said...

I like the eyes just white, if they stand out too much maybe you can tone them down a bit in value. I think the lack of a pupil helps with the eerie feel.

Great job painting them up.

Unknown said...

This is a really cool project!

Boss Salvage said...

I've been oddly quite about your Sons so far ...

Great work on these vets, I dig the white eyes and 'ochre' armor myself. Good contrast with the red also.

The demon assault sentinels were really something too, gives me high hopes for the rest of the army to come!

- Salvage

Current Progress on the Sons of Sek

Current Progress on the Sons of Sek
Sept. 5th, 2008 - They were finished literally at the table before the first round began.