Getting Back Into the Swing of Things

Well the Sons of Sek got finished right under the wire. The GT was a blast and I'll have full coverage by this weekend. 

Friday, June 20, 2008

Sons of Sek - Sentinels Painted


It's very late (or early depending how you look at it) so I'll make this quick. Here are my two "sentinels" for my Sons of Sek Traitor Guard Army. These guys took much longer to paint than I had estimated, and I'm a couple of days behind schedule. This week I'm supposed to be working on my 15 Veterans, and I think I can make up the time.

With these sentinels, I tried some different things with washes to avoid the standard drybrushed metal. It basically amounted to a 1:2:9 mix of Brown Ink:Chaos Black:Water with a drop of dish detergent to make the wash more viscous. Afterwards, I applied to subsequent Chaos Black washes, and then did a careful overbrushing with Mithril Silver on the edges and raised portions, and then decided to go back and do a Mithril hardline on certain conspicuous areas.

The bloodletter was painted going in progressive steps from Mechrite Red to Blood Red to Blazing Orange.




I had some issues matte varnishing these guys. I've been using the Armory Matte Varnish (I finished my last last can of the old formula of the good GW varnish on the Uruks), and its been tending to frost the models. I think it might be due to holding the can too close. I'll have to do some experimenting.



Note the banners. The Hand emblem is going to be the symbol of the Sons of Sek. There's a running theme with the Sons of Sek, where hands cover the mouth. It has something to do with the liturgy of the followers of Sek. Whenever he is named, everyone says, "Whose voice drowns out all others." Note the hand incorporated into the rebreather mask below.

The "3/1" signifies that my army is part of the Sons of Sek 3rd (The Fists of the Magister), 1st Company. The "1S" and "2S" signify that they are scout detachments of the 1st and Second platoons, respectively.

I've started building the Veterans tonight. Hopefully by tomorrow night I can have them fully built and converted, and maybe I can paint the 3 sergeants. We'll see.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. I had a nice comment going then google shot it down. So, you get the abridged version.

Minis look GREAT!

Testors DullCote works good.

Good luck on catching up with your schedule.

Ad Astra said...

Awesome, love the icons & banner. Will be following your progress.

dvdhwk said...

Seemyinnergreek- Yeah, google does that sometimes. I had a longish comment over on FTW on the "Counts As" article that got swallowed up.

But glad you like, and I'll definitely give testors a try. I'll go buy some today.

Fritz- Thanks for commenting! Welcome to my little corner of the internet.

Jace Boatrite said...

I've also had some frosting (making it look dust covered) occur when using Armory's matte varnish.

What I did was just go over it again, but closer. If you are varnishing, but trying to use it as a protective coat as well, it will be too thick and give a frosted appearance. I find that the right amount is just enough to make the model look slightly wet, but then STOP.

I really like how they look though, I may have to try that on my metals.

Admiral Drax said...

Funnily enough, almost exactly the same applies to you as I've just commented to Ron Saikowski over at FTW, so I've cut my losses and copied it below:

Wow!

As a rule I loathe and despise the myraid forces of chaos with a passion unspeakable that largely amounts to absolute detestation ...but these models are AWESOME!

Nice work, Matey, and thanks for the cool pics.

- Drax

Anonymous said...

Hey Sean,

Great stuff mate, really nice work.

Was the texture on your bloodletter-engine conversion achieved with rough coat spray? it looks seriously amazing!

Keep up the good work:)

All the best, 73rd

dvdhwk said...

73rd -
Lol. No it was achieved through spraying out when it was too hot. When that happens the paint dries before it hits the model. I scrubbed it thoroughly, but that's the best I could get it to come out. Glad you like my mistake. :p

Anonymous said...

it is definately a good mistake! now I have to learn how to do that accidentally on purpose lol...

Current Progress on the Sons of Sek

Current Progress on the Sons of Sek
Sept. 5th, 2008 - They were finished literally at the table before the first round began.